10.11.11

Umbrella

I find refuge in the time I have to myself.

I think, at one time I was supposed to find refuge in something(someone?) else, but I often forget who that is, and mistake that identity for someone else. I guess I had better hope that this great thing that I never seem to stop looking for is also somehow inside of me, or I may never find it.

Or perhaps, I'll find it and then I'll just give up because I'll never get my head around it or it scares me too much. That's why we watch movies and listen to music. That thing is out there, somewhere in the real world. Better to stay indoors as much as possible, and always go out with an umbrella.

Actually, I prefer Youtube. Sometimes the movies talk about it too.

I'm in a shop called "Hands Coffee." The barrista is kind of cute. I wonder what would happen if I went up to her and told her that, and maybe kissed her on the cheek. Maybe it would be like a movie, except for the part where it's her turn to react.

That's another thing I like about the movies. There's always a main character. I can never react to anything properly because I'm pretty sure I'm an extra. With the amount of effort I put into my life, I'll be lucky if I'm even credited.

The slogan for this place is "My life, my choice." I'm suddenly worried that there are stem cells in my coffee. I forget why that's supposed to make me angry. It has something to do with Christopher Reeve, but he's dead. Should I still be upset?

Anyway, I'm about finished with my latte and I can safely say that the slogan is the only strong thing about this place.

The PA system is playing a jazz cover of "Tainted Love," This has nothing to do with anything (I wish it did) but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

I think the barrista is smiling at me out of the corner of my eye. I try smiling at her. I don't think she was smiling at me anymore.

What I wouldn't give to be at least a supporting cast member. Like Ron Weasley.

He got Hermoine. How the hell did that happen?

This place is orange. I can see the cold, steel blue of the outdoors through the windows. I've been learning about color temperature online in my free time. Everything we think we know is backwards. All the cool colors come from high temperatures, and all the warm ones come from lower temperatures. Does that mean that the outside is warmer?

Or at least, more heat?

Heat isn't the same as temperature. We learned that in school. Temperature is a number, but heat is motion. A vat of molten steel has nothing on the heat generated by the ocean.

Motion. So many things moving around. Life has no plot that I can find.

My hand is on the door. I wait for the heat to come. THe ocean. It spins around in circles, and no one can breathe underwater. The barrista notices me leaving.

"감사합니다! 안녕히 가십시요!"

I'll bet she says that to everyone.

1 comment:

titancia said...

I've always enjoyed the "supporting characters" getting together. Maybe I think it gives them their moment in the sun, or maybe I want it so bad I have to live vicariously through characters. I'm not sure. Either way, I find I always hook into the romantic pairings--I was at the midnight showing because I couldn't wait for "The Kiss" between Ron & Hermione.

I love Ron... But I also think he got Hermione because, aside from Victor Krum because she the lucky girl is also pretty, who gives the smart girl who lives with her nose stuck in books a chance? It takes a Lloyd Dobler to impress everyone by taking Diane Court out because no one else even thinks to ask her...just simply ask her.

Part of me keeps waiting for some "movie moment" to happen in my life. Is it the guy next to me in the bookstore? Is someone going to come up to me in Target? Or is it going to be a bit more exciting? All these scenarios play in my head, my own private movies. And the others...I collect them. Sometimes I think I use it to fuel my hope that I'll have my own "moment" someday, but really I use it to sustain myself because I think it's never going to happen to me.

I hope you find your own Hermione. And make sure you say hello to the Barrista next time you go to coffee. And keep smiling, even if you don't think she's smiling at you.